................................

Hello

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our Urban Villages

We as Polynesians have a village mindset, which is ingrained within us. In the islands we all trace our identity back to what village we hale from. Each member is responsible for the other. Each village takes pride in its members  accomplishments, mourns with them when needed, and protects when called for. That being said in the villages back home the elders teach the younger ones how to live and represent properly. 

So this may explain why we are so quick to identify with what city/state we now reside in here in the states. We will naturally cling to what is comfortable and familiar (it's human nature) and we will adapt our mentality to situations we are presented with. Before anyone tries to say anything crazy, I in no way am trying to say we are mindless followers who should not be responsible for our own personal behavior! All I'm trying to address is the fact that it's been mentioned many times that there are a large number of gangs and "hood" bangin in Utah. I don't think that being proud of where we come from will ever go away but maybe we can teach our kids better then us, edify your hood instead of tearing down someone elses.

It is the work we do within our own neighborhoods that will matter. We can't leave it to outside factors to help remedy our issues, they don't understand. As shown in recent events solidarity shown between hoods in the last couple months has had so much more of an impact than all the gang prevention meetings they've ever held. How can anyone who hasn't lived it know how to fix it???  The answers we all seek lie within our own communities and nowhere else and I think that's is what scares the powers that be the most... If the answers are not provided by them how can they control the situation? If the ones being made to feel less than realize they don't have to feel that way anymore than what?  

We are not a perfect people but we are so much stronger than our physical strength!!! 

Let me just clear something up I am not a scholar I do not know the proper terms and I am still trying to finish a degree, but yet I write. I grew up in these same neighborhoods and saw and felt the same things many are still going through. The biggest motivation for me are my kids, if not for them then for what?!? Again these are just my opinions correct me or Lmk what you feel...trust me you ain't hurting no ones feelings hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment